Skip to Content
Pickup Coaching
-->

Keeping the quality of the forum: Filtering mechanisms?

16 replies [Last post]
Hey guys, the bane of EVERY forum, is keeping the quality up. It's always an incredible balance between attracting new users, who are:

- invariably inexperienced and completely naive when it comes to game
- bring down the overall level of quality postings by adding their inane questions and squirrelly thought processes

This is OK, and everyone started off there except me, HOWEVER, it creates an atmosphere that high quality posters get sick of and therefore leave.

So..

I want to create some filtering mechanisms for the forum. This will be based on a foundation of assigning users a particular grading that they earn. It will either be awarded instantaneously, e.g. certain guys from RSD come over like Robotboner or Food, Android, 10pin, etc., or just thru hard work they get the recognition they deserve on the forum.

Once this is set up, users will be able to hit a filter drop-down menu and filter which posts and replies to posts that are visible. So if they only want to posts and replies from guys with say, only black belts, or brown belts and above.. they can hit that option and filter what content shows up on the forum.

I might also add a saturation feature on top of that. E.g. you can add a 25% saturation of newbie postings to your filter so you can see SOME newbie posts.. but not too many you start gagging on them.

ALSO, I want to start using the voting functionality I had installed on here, as well as assigning ratings to threads.

What do you guys think. Any other ideas? Concerns..?

*edit* based on Buddha's feedback
I will create a filter based on a mandatory categorization you give your thread when you create it. E.g. when you hit submit you will be required to check a box if it's a text game/physical game/lifestyle thread. From the same drop down filter menu you'll be able to filter what selection of threads you want to view, e.g. text/online game or physical game, etc.

I go in and I'm crisp, clean and my vocals are fucking coming out like music. - Anonymous MW student

- Autismus Terminus Finis (Root Cause/Cure of Autism Epidemic)

- Called Off My Wedding & Other Turn Tail Signs Of The American Male

Tap Or Click For Personal Coaching Information

Buddhagames's picture
Dude. That's so money. LOVE
Dude. That's so money.

LOVE the filter shit.

It's Just Something You Have To Do If You Want To Be Great- Manwhore

"Apart from the pulling and hauling stands what I am, Stands amused, complacent, compassionating, idle, unitary, Looks down, is erect, or bends an arm on an impalpable certain rest, Looking with side-curved head curious what will come next, Both in and out of the game and watching and wondering at it."

Good idea I like it. How
Good idea I like it.

How about the ability to rate threads. 1-5 stars type deal.

Stickys and FAQs

Maybe make some sub forums if they can get enough traffic. A "I need help, what should I say" forum, general theory. A giant forum/thread of openers, first texts and invites texts. Field reports
Buddhagames's picture
Yeah, in that vain: A sub
Yeah, in that vain:

A sub forum for texting
A sub forum for POF/Okcupid
A sub forum for Field/Lay Reports

I don't like the idea of a "main" forum because it encourages people to post things with titles like, "Sleeping without a pillow"...

But if you make the only forums available, say, "texting", "online game" and "field/lay reports", I think that automatically will raise the caliber of posts.

"Apart from the pulling and hauling stands what I am, Stands amused, complacent, compassionating, idle, unitary, Looks down, is erect, or bends an arm on an impalpable certain rest, Looking with side-curved head curious what will come next, Both in and out of the game and watching and wondering at it."

Ahhhhahahaha sleeping without
Ahhhhahahaha sleeping without a pillow that was the gayest shit ever.
jwest (not verified)
To be honest I would love if
To be honest I would love if this forum could be expanded and I think
these ideas FUCKING ROCK.

MANWHORE YOURE A GENIUS!
jwest (not verified)
HEY MANWHORE I'M WRITING IN
HEY MANWHORE I'M WRITING IN CAPS TO GET YOUR ATTENTION:

I think posts should also have a length limit...some posts are so fucking
long its like reading a book and they are usually posted by beginners.

I would say we put out a limit of 500 words...if you cant keep it concise
get the fuck out of my forum understand?

It's like in the army, if some guy thinks he should say more than expected
he gets assfucked.

Another point I would like to raise is that maybe we should filter profanity
or put automatic blocks/bans on people who use profanity.
If you dont know what I mean i mean words such as:
Fucking, Rimjob, the usual N-bomb, Raghead, turtledick, cunt, bitch-ass motherfucker,
piece of shit,...

thats just my suggestion.
Buddhagames's picture
I respectfully disagree. I
I respectfully disagree.

I tend to write long posts. If you don't want to read them- you will have the ability to filter out people (such as myself) who tend to write longer. I also disagree with the idea that there is a certain amount someone is "expected" to say on this forum.

Why the fuck should I have to keep my lay report under 500 words? That seems arbitrary and kinda silly.

I also disagree with the "language" filter. I think that profanity adds a LOT to the forum. Also, when I'm texting, in-field or on POF/Okcupid... I use swear words all the time, so that filter would force me to change that when I post here and a lot of times, that takes away from the potency of a text etc.

jwest (not verified)
Ok fair argument I agree -
Ok fair argument I agree - How about this:

The forum only shows the first 200-500 word of each post, so that users can decide whether they want to read the whole thing or not, rather than having to scroll through massive amounts of bullshit.

I will most probably read your lay reports, but what I mean are people whose layreports are literally non-existent, people who post massive massive amounts of pointless questions:

KEEP THE QUESTIONS CONCISE, JUST LIKE IN THE ARMY.
Buddhagames's picture
lol, you can just do that
lol, you can just do that yourself man. Read the first couple hundred words yourself, and then you can make a personal choice as to whether you want to continue.

Thanks gawd, this forum isn't in any way affiliated with the army lmao- we'd all be FUCKED : )

And idk if you have been on this forum very long, but I truly haven't seen many "pointless" questions on here, in the same way that you see them on RSD.

I think your concern is more with wasting your time with newbie posts, and for that- Manwhore is including a filter. So you will have the ability to filter all newbie posts and then you'll just be left with the more experienced people, and generally, I assume you would want to read something, even if it is a bit longer, if it's posted by someone with a lot of experience.

jwest (not verified)
whatever. Let me just say
whatever. Let me just say that the moment some 2 page long post appears here. I'll set up 10 troll accounts to come stalk this forum.

I'm currently reading 2 books simultaneously, i cant deal with long posts.

It's quite simple.
jwest (not verified)
PS: I wouldnt mind if this
PS: I wouldnt mind if this forum were more disciplined, Manwhore should bring out his army skills.
Buddhagames's picture
lolI don't understand you're
lol

I don't understand you're problem. If it's a big issue. You click on the thread. It's too long. You click back... Simple, right?

I guess I just don't understand why you want to limit the amount someone ELSE can say, and the amount other people can read, because not everyone is like you and some people like the longer posts, just so that you can gain a miniscule amount of convenience, that you can just as easily accomplish on your own.

Like, if somehow the forum worked, such that, as soon as you clicked on a thread you were FORCED to read the entirety of it. I would TOTALLY be on your side lmao... like 100000%... but it doesn't work like that.. right?

I mean as it stands, there are a ton of threads that I click on but don't read in their entirety.

Not trying to be difficult here man, but if you explain yourself, I'm totally open to hearing what you say. I'm just telling you how it comes across to me.

And yeah- I think the filter system, is a solid way of making it more disciplined. What are some negative aspects of the lack of discipline you've noticed?

Whoa that's a fantastic idea
Whoa that's a fantastic idea on the experience filter, that's what I do but manually on the RSD forums. Looking back on it I should have scripted something like that up a long time ago.
jwest (not verified)
Yea I agree. So do you know
Yea I agree.

So do you know what I mean by drop down posts? For instance you should be able to read the first 200-300 words of the post, and if it is interesting you can click on it so that the full post is shown. That will automatically force people to write interesting stuff or they'll be ignored. It will also save everybody else time because they can go through the posts skimming for what is relevant amongst the noob stuff.
If we simply filter only the good guys / pros, a lot of noobs might feel they're being ignored and they'll leave, even if they have potential.

I think the new hierarchy will solve a lot of the discipline issues but my profanity suggestion may not be too bad either i.e. banning certain words such as the N-bomb which sometimes appear on RSDnation.

It will save the moderators time as they wont have to delete all of these.
I do like the drop down idea
I do like the drop down idea for long posts that's solid.

I go in and I'm crisp, clean and my vocals are fucking coming out like music. - Anonymous MW student

- Autismus Terminus Finis (Root Cause/Cure of Autism Epidemic)

- Called Off My Wedding & Other Turn Tail Signs Of The American Male

Tap Or Click For Personal Coaching Information

Buddhagames's picture
Not that this can be
Not that this can be enfornced (I guess mods could do it)- but I know you had mentioned a little bit ago, creating a "rules" section... I think that's a great idea, just general guidelines about how you want this forum to operate... That way we don't have random new guys coming on here and calling people faggots and whatnot their first day on the forum.